A year of corporate life !! :-P

Here I am back, after more than 3 months, to torture u all with yet another story of mine – pardon me guyz...:-P

Sitting here at Trivandrum, I ponder on a rainy Saturday morning how life has carried me through innumerable little twists and turns over the past one year of corporate life at my company since March 23rd 2009 – the myriad count of people with whom I got a chance to say just a Hello-Bye - the few people with whom I became very comfortable with – and the very little number of people who taught me a thing or two about life – it has been quite a journey over the past 15 months @ TATA Elxsi Limited.

Spent 6 months at Bangalore, where I had my initial training (not only corporate training – but a training on Life, I must say...). Met a few memorable people – some my own colleagues – some of whom are my superiors. Can’t write about everyone here, though I can’t restrain myself from writing about my first Project Manager at Datacom, Bangalore. A man with over 12 years of experience in this company, he’s a man from the same city as mine, Coimbatore – finished his engineering at one of the best institutes of the country – PSG Tech and is a Project Manager here. But, unlike all project managers who used to be pretty strict and reserved to his teammates – restricting themselves to just formal and technical talks with his sub-ordinates, here was a person who went a step (probably more...) more into building a smooth sailing within his project team. He is a person with whom you can interact about anything and everything that bothers you, and can develop your confidence with. Atleast that was what I felt after working with him for a few days. Though I wasn’t comfortable with the field I was working, the kind of motivation and confidence he gave me and my small team was more than enough to draw the best out of us. I personally learnt quite a lot of stuff from him that seniority in the corporate hierarchy comes to nothing when you are able to win hearts with your inter-personal skills!! Guess what? He actually went out with our team for a team lunch on a couple of occasions (I missed one of those, unfortunatelyL) – a gesture very rarely expected out of a 12-year experienced project manager with his fresh engineers-team!! 45 golden days at Bangalore under him!! This kind of experience being at a side, I had experience of the worst cadre when I was put up in a project which forced me to learn Java and start developing applications within a week – a programming language which I was never trained upon... Just when I was starting to find my feet into it came this yet another twist – a Transfer to Trivandrum! Time came to bid a great good bye to Bangalore and to all my dear friends who made life memorable – taught me huge lessons – cared for me – felt for me – Man – 6 golden months of my life where I learnt quite a lot of lessons – learnt the pros and cons of corporate life (not fully though... am just 6 months old into the corporate jungle :-P), pros and cons of living alone – even a trip back to home on that cosy Rajahamsa bus from Bangalore to Coimbatore once in a while is a thought which remains fresh in my mind even now. Anyways, past is past – Here I am at Trivandrum.

God’s own country – Kerala beckoned me! Trivandrum – the capital of Kerala (:-o) is a good place to live, especially if you are a person wanting peace, silence – away from the frentic pace of the typical IT hubs, this is for you. For me, it was damn difficult to adapt myself to the place initially – the office was more like a Malayalee government office. But, all inhibitions disappeared as days went by, and got completely exhilarating experiences here too – though the kind was completely opposite to the kind I had at Bangalore.

A female with a quarter-century years of experience in the embedded industry, my Project manager was a role-model herself – just for the self-assurance and confidence she portrays in everything she does. Though I was no match for the job profile needed here (or thats what I felt...), she kept encouraging and boosted confidence to learn the stuff. Similar was the case with our Technical Lead, who was a man of perfection – relentless and with a strict attitude of following the rules and finishing jobs with utmost sincerity. I had great teammates too, colleagues with over 3-4 years of experience, but who always had time and patience to mingle with less-experienced people like me. May be, I was helped by the fact that the work I was doing here (still... :-() wasn’t that interesting and all.

Whatever it be, this second half of my corporate life has been quite a fascinating time, just because this helped me understand even more facets of senior-level people. People who give out anything to finish their jobs with perfection, people who are ready to do their own share of mischief – just to finish their job, people who work with sincerity even if they were working on the last day of their notice periods, people who balance office life with regular dosage of sports and extra-curricular activities, and lot more... The best part for me coming to this place – I got more time and the right kind of friends for a game every weekend – be it Cricket or Volleyball or anything else.. This was something I never got a chance to do when I was at Bangalore. These golden days r still continuing... Don’t know when the next little twist is going to come... Am ready for it, anyways, considering I’ve got quite a lot of it over the past 2 ½ years, starting from the day I finished engineering.

Everything in life happens for a reason... Isn’t it?? Take care, buddies!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts